Training a French Bulldog puppy should start as soon as you get them home. Puppy brains are a lot bigger than we think – they take in so much good information despite their young age.
Training a French Bulldog: Top 5 tips
- Start early. The best time to start training your French Bulldog is when they are puppies. Puppies are more impressionable and eager to please, making them easier to train.
- Be consistent. It is important to be consistent with your training methods. If you are inconsistent, your French Bulldog will become confused and less likely to obey your commands.
- Use positive reinforcement. Positive reinforcement is the most effective way to train a dog. When your French Bulldog does something you want them to do, praise them and give them a treat. This will help them to associate good behavior with positive consequences.
- Be patient. Training a dog takes time and patience. Do not get discouraged if your French Bulldog does not learn a command right away. Just keep practicing and they will eventually get it.
- Make it fun. Training should be fun for both you and your French Bulldog. If your dog is not having fun, they are less likely to want to learn. Try to make training sessions short and engaging, and use plenty of positive reinforcement.
Easy commands to teach your Frenchie
- Sit: To teach your French Bulldog to sit, place a treat in front of their nose. As they follow the treat with their nose, slowly raise your hand up and over their head. Their hindquarters should naturally lower to the ground. Once they are sitting, say “sit” and give them the treat.
- Stay: To teach your French Bulldog to stay, have them sit in front of you. Hold out your hand in a “stop” gesture and say “stay.” Take a few steps back. If your dog stays, praise them and give them a treat. If they get up, start over.
- Come: To teach your French Bulldog to come, say “come” in a firm voice. Hold out your hand and lure them to you with a treat. If they come to you, praise them and give them the treat. If they do not come to you, start over.
These are just a few basic commands that you can train your French Bulldog to do. With patience and consistency, you can teach your French Bulldog to do many other things as well.
Additional tips for training your French Bulldog:
- Use a crate. A crate can be a helpful tool for training your French Bulldog. It provides them with a safe and secure place to sleep and relax. It can also be used to housebreak your dog.
- Socialize your French Bulldog. Socializing your French Bulldog will help them to be comfortable around other people and animals. This is important for their overall well-being and can also make them less likely to be aggressive.
- Take your French Bulldog for walks. Walking your French Bulldog is a great way to exercise them and bond with them. It is also a good opportunity to socialize them with other people and animals.
- Be patient and consistent. Training your French Bulldog takes time and patience. Do not get discouraged if your dog does not learn a command right away. Just keep practicing and they will eventually get it.
With patience and consistency, you can train your French Bulldog to be a well-behaved member of your family.
If you are looking for a training course you can follow from home I would recommend Brain Training for Dogs. The trainer is so knowledgeable and teaches in an easy to follow way that brings out the best in both you and your Frenchie.